Sunnyside District Evaluation Committee Blog
Goal of the Professional Development Office
Professional Development is designed to create and nurture a professional culture of leadership and innovation throughout Sunnyside district. The professional learning activities are aligned with district initiatives and school improvement plans in support of student learning and achievement. Professional Development will:
- Provide new teachers with a comprehensive orientation program and ongoing training throughout the critical first year of teaching to promote more effective teaching and learning.
- Provide a planned, comprehensive, and research-based professional learning program that includes a wide range of opportunities for staff and administrators to remain current with new developments in the field of education, to improve their professional skills, and to retain their license(s) and certification(s).
- Support all efforts to create an atmosphere that fosters collegiality, collaboration and interactive learning among members of the district learning community. Specific support is given to Instructional Coaches and other educational leaders.
- Develop and implement district-wide opportunities to assist teachers in developing strategies for the incorporation of technology into the everyday engagement in teaching and learning.
- Recognize and utilize the expertise and talents of professionals within the school system
- By August, 2010, 100% of all newly hired teachers will participate in New Teacher Orientation training.
- By June 2011, 90% of all newly hired teachers will participate in New Teacher Induction training sessions, offering structured training throughout the first year.
- By June 2011, 90% of continuing teachers will participate in professional development activities, through collaboration and other training opportunities.
- By June 2011, 100% of all Sunnyside teachers participating in the teacher laptop program will receive training in the development of technology skills and implementation strategies through online and live training opportunities.
- By June 2011, all instructional coaches will receive training in Cognitive Coaching techniques.